FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE: Instrumentation Project Leader
Position on-site in New York City
About the job: Product design/development Engineering at an advanced pathology, med-tech startup
SurgiVance is developing a new kind of pathological imager (novel confocal microscope) that aims to simplify, expedite and fundamentally improve pathology. Our groundbreaking proprietary optics and digital informatics are transforming the way we look at skin cancer. We are committed to advancing patient-centered outcomes for millions of Americans diagnosed with cancer each year and beyond, for other serious diseases and for everyone, throughout the world, regardless of financial status. Our elegant technology drives higher resolution pathology with ease and low cost, creating major value for doctors and patients who want to eliminate disease as soon and as completely as possible.
The Position: As a cutting-edge research instrumentation engineer, you will lead the SBIR Phase II high risk innovative research project as a co=principal investigator, working closely with surgeons, the rest of the team including the inventor and subcontractors in the optics and imaging space. You will develop custom software and hardware to transform our academic prototype into a product prototype. The position will entail software development —primarily in Matlab— to drive multimodal confocal imaging. A comfort with, and basic understanding of opto-mechanics and product design is required. Must be able to work both independently and closely with the inventor and industrial subcontractors to accomplish a complete product alpha build under design controls, from design through fabrication and testing. SurgiVance extensively uses opto-mechanics in reflectance and fluorescence mode confocal microscopy.
Specific initial responsibilities include:
· Building and maintaining a prototyping maker space tightly focused on product development.
· Optomechanical design and LASER alignment.
· Performing experimental imaging that quantifies the resolution, contrast performance of the imaging system.
· Imaging discarded surgical specimens and creating a user interface to do so efficiently and in an organized way that permits comparison of the imaging results to gold standard pathology.
· Working closely with multiple surgeons optimize the medical diagnostic device technical strength.
· Depending on expertise and interest, other projects may involve design of deep learning algorithms to execute imaging and pathological analysis automatically, integration engineering with medical informatics, etc.
· Performing complete project cycles, from design to fabrication, with support from a small engineering team.
· A Ph.D. and/or substantial industry experience along with an interest in imaging.
· An interest in working in the medical device sector and/or experience in digital pathology.
· A willingness and ability to rapidly assimilate new fields of knowledge, from machine vision algorithms to systems design.
· The ability to clearly communicate engineering principles, design and coding with surgeons and the capacity to work collaboratively with members of the startup company to optimize systems and coding as clinical needs require.
· The ability to multitask and assist in the design/optimization of different systems supporting the development of the product prototype toward the final, frozen design that will go into multicenter FDA clinical trials.
· A hands-on optics breadboard engineer, experience in laser imaging systems preferred
· Experienced writing code in multiple languages including Python, C++, and Matlab and comfortable designing and building mechanical and electronic devices
· Excited by the opportunity to rapidly assimilate new information for the purpose of solving design challenges in pathology and medical informatics.
· Detail-oriented, accurate, and precise
· Capable of working both independently and within a small team
· Creative and enjoy the iterative process of design development
Location: You will be working out of our Manhattan location
How to Apply: We offer a competitive salary and health insurance, and a collaborative, intellectually stimulating work environment. Apply via email to email@example.com or on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3517798474/